Friday, January 27, 2017

Book Review: Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare


Much Ado About NothingMuch Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It is my first comedy section of Shakespeare's plays. It seemed like the original romantic-comedy. I enjoyed the match of wits between Beatrice and Benedick it was creative, funny and sophisticated. I was not very much in love with the plot until it all unfolded in the end. From the prospect of 2017, it seems a little offensive when women are subjected to casual bias. That is something I often struggle with while reading books from olden times.

It was only when I reached the end of it, I found that it was indeed brilliant. As one can see the contrasting deceit and trickery that the people in the play are subjected to. The contrast of deception is ranging from pleasant and playful to cunning and dangerous. The outcomes of the schemes of deception are altogether dependent on circumstances and intentions. Thus, can be excused or punished accordingly... However, the nature of lies is nevertheless dishonest. Shakespear shows the variation of it in three major sub-plots.

The language is very stylized, whimsical and clever. The majority of play is lighthearted, unlike the tragedies, hence was amusing to read. I liked all the major characters, but Beatrice was my favorite. I will recommend it to people who like to read Jane Austen and other classic romantic comedies.



View all my reviews

Find me on the following; #SocialMedia

No comments:

Post a Comment