Friday, March 11, 2016

Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1)Maus I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My father bleeds history, is a book about conversations between Art Spiegelman and his father (Vladek Spiegelman), about Vladek's life during WW2 as a polish Jew. As all Holocaust stories this one is also sad and fascinating (for the very reason that, how could human beings let that happen!).
It is very interesting how Nazi and Jew are portrayed as Cat and Mouse. In the animal analogy of the book, the Poles are Pigs and the Americans are Dogs (interestingly who saved the Maus from Cat). This distinction though on the surface may seem meaningless even racist but, the first quote in the book “The Jews are undoubtedly a race, but they are not human.” by Adolf Hitler is represented in this analogy. In my opinion, it is the impact of Holocaust on the survivor's psychology that reflects in the book. Moreover, dehumanization of Jews during that era is no hidden fact.
The book ends with a cliffhanger and I am looking forward to reading Part 2.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment